Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Half Moon Mani Monday!

Yesterday, my friend Abi came over and I painted her nails. I used Spoiled polishes for the base on both ours, and I haven't taken my own pictures of the bottles yet. Her base was 1 coat of Two Weeks Sober, a dark lavender cream polish, and 1 coat of Checkin' Into Rehab,  a dark purple jelly base with pink/gold micro flecks. Then I taped off the half moon and used Orly Luxe to fill it in. Luxe is a heavy metallic gold that covered opaquely in one thin coat.



And a top coat of Seche Vite, of course. I absolutely love how this turned out! 

Taken indoors with direct lighting

Taken outdoors with indirect lighting

Closeup so you can really see the pink flecks 

I loved this look so much that I wanted to do something similar for me! I thought a hot pink and silver would look really cool. For my base, I used 1 coat of Spoiled Pretty in Punk, a creme bright pink polish with a touch of red tones, and then a coat of Sinful Colors Oasis, a creamy shimmer with the slightest hint of metallic hot pink.



Then I pulled out the only metallic silver I have at the moment, Sally Hansen Celeb City. It also covered opaquely, but wasn't as easy to work with and I had some tiny issues with smearing as I pulled the tape off.



Then I covered everything with Seche Vite. Again, please ignore the mess around my cuticles. I am trying not to dry them out too much by using acetone on them.

Taken inside with direct lighting


Taken outside with indirect lighting

I didn't love this look as much as I thought I would. After about half an hour the uneven lines of the half moon were driving me a little crazy, so I grabbed my dotting tool and "fixed" the issue by outlining the half moon with black polka dots. 

Taken indoors with direct lighting

I think this is exactly what this mani needed! It's not my favorite, but I'll keep it for now! Really, I think Abi's nails turned out much better. It was a fun day of painting nails and being silly. I need more nails to paint!





1 comment:

  1. I swear, I'll move to AZ just so you can paint my nails all the time! :P

    ReplyDelete